Saturday 17 August 2013

An apple by any other name.

Yesterday there was an apple on the ground. After sampling it we decided that it was ripe, so we picked some more.
I think this tree is ready to go. It seems early to me. I thought I'd have to wait a few more weeks. I don't know which one this is. I did write down the 5 varieties we planted 2 years ago, but that was before we moved, and the book is still packed in a box somewhere. It could be a Cortland. I know one of them was.

 
I'm not sure we have enough that any will last for a pie. They sure taste good straight off the tree.

 
The tree is not very tall and the echinacea have grown right up into it. The tree was growing hard against a building, almost naturally espaliered against the wall with only a little pruning. But the weight of the apples and a few hard rainfalls seem to have given it a list away from the wall. We may have to anchor it back to the wall somehow.
I'm hoping the deer don't find the tree before we've finished harvesting.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment