Saturday 22 February 2014

Keeping the garden producing

Over the summer, I try and plant a few seeds every week, so that the garden keeps producing. It is easy to not plant and have the garden grind to a halt mid summer.
If we were here for the winter I'd start planting for that season, but we leave here late April, so my plantings are timed for then. In fact I probably won't plant much more now except for green manures and garlic.
This summer is another hot and dry one. The rain that is promised never seems to materialise.
So it takes a bit of effort to keep planting. I have been starting peas, beans, pak choi and lettuce every few weeks since we arrived here in December, and hope the season favours some of them.
Here I have some lettuce that I started about 2 weeks ago. They'll probably be planted out in about 3 more weeks.

These seedlings were started about 5 weeks ago. As I find space I'll start planting them out. They are big enough that they should survive well after the transplant.


These I started in early January and have been eating leaves from them for a couple of weeks now.
I have more of the same in the garden, but I like to have a few lettuces from each sowing planted in pots so I can baby them along, and it offers a little insurance if something happens to the ones in the garden.


Most of the beans that were started in October were finished by the time we arrived back in late December. I managed to keep a few purple podded bean plants going for a while, but in the heat they gave up also, though the scarlet runner beans have continued to do well. I have some bush Roquefort beans that were started in January just coming into production, so it looks like we'll have lots of beans again until we leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment