Saturday 15 March 2014

Drying Fruit

Drying fruit is a great way to keep fruit. I have been drying apples lately, but I have also been drying peaches and grapes. The figs are starting to ripen, so it is a race to harvest them before the birds find them.

 
The apples are easy to prepare with this little gadget. It peals, cores and slices all in one go. the slices are uniform, and this helps everything dry consistently.

 
I use an electric dryer. A little noisy, but I set it up to run at night so it isn't too intrusive. Set at a low setting for the night means that the fruit doesn't get over dried before morning. Then in the morning a short time on a higher setting finishes it off.
 
 
 
Now I am starting to accumulate bags of delicious leathery dried fruit. Great to add to granola or mix with nuts for snacks.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment