Friday 28 March 2014

Worm farm

I have had my worm farm for about 10 years now. When I'm not in the country I take the whole setup over to my friend Debbie's, and she takes care or them.
They don't need a lot of attention or affection. If a few basic requirements are met, the worms are happy to spend their lives converting household waste into lovely dark crumbly compost.
I have a commercial black plastic 3 tier bin arrangement, but the worms aren't fussy, and can live in a variety of setups.
Every month or so during the summer I harvest a tier of worm compost. I also collect the liquid that drains out the bottom. Dilute it to the colour of weak tea, and it is a great liquid fertiliser.



The basic requirements of the worms are a dark, moist, cool environment, with good drainage. I avoid feeding them meat, fats, onions, citrus and anything that might sprout eg tomato or pumpkin seeds.
In the autumn I try to take the time to get a load of horse manure from my friends, I fill my high sided plastic wheelbarrow with the drainage hole in the bottom with the manure, and throw in a couple of handfuls of worms. For the winter this is parked under a tree, and partially covered, to stay cool, and let a little rain in. In the spring the load of manure has been converted to a lovely crumbly mix, and the worm population has exploded. This mix is perfect for transplanting the new spring seedlings, or revitalising the potting mix in my planters.
 
 
Worms definitely aren't as entertaining as the chooks, but they are an important part of our life here on the (tiny) farm.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment