Thursday 10 April 2014

Chillies

Yesterday and today we are getting a lovely rain. Desperately needed, but for my vege garden a little late.
Though the chillies are ripening up a treat.
The Serrano chillies are not so hot, but they sure look great on the bush, and with their thin skins are easy to dry.

 
 These yellow ones I don't know what their name is. We call them the perennial chillies because they survive from year to year in this climate, which the others, while technically perennial in their native environment, aren't here.
I started 3 plants of the yellow chillies last summer, and this summer they are laden with these golf ball size chillies. There are probably over a hundred all together, and the bushes are producing more flowers.
The flesh provides a bit of bite, but the real heat is in the seeds.
Because they are thick skinned, I find throwing them whole into the freezer is the best way of storing them. To use, I chop the whole fruit up while it is frozen and toss them into the dish I am preparing.

 
I also have some habanero chillies on the go, but they have shown no signs of changing colour yet. they are grown in a pot, so when we leave here in a few weeks, I'll put them, pot and all, into the house, and hope they ripen and dry on the plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment