Sunday 31 August 2014

Harvesting and preserving

Last week I noticed the apples were ripening. This week I ended up with a small bucketful.

 
The apple trees are laden, but I thought it would be another few weeks until they ripened.



But when I realised some critter was eating them I investigated further.
Suddenly it was time to do something with them. I now have quite a lot of apple sauce. Great for on the oatmeal on these continuing cold mornings.


Then while I was on a roll I did a batch of tomato relish- a recipe I inherited from my mum.


 
When I got back to Canada in July, I started a new batch of sour dough starter. It always seems to take a while for the starter to get lively. The first few loaves are always a little solid.
But the starter is great now, and it is making me some great bread.
I am experimenting with using 1/2 cup of oat flour to replace some of the whole wheat spelt flour I used previously. So far so good. I've also replaced some of the whole wheat spelt with rye flour with good results.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment