Sunday 25 January 2015

Mid Summer

Here in New Zealand summer is marching on.
In spite of my late start here, my garden is starting to become productive, and we are enjoying the harvests from it.


The perennial peppers are 8' tall and the peppers are starting to ripen up. Time to start thinking about drying and freezing the surplus.


The cucs are starting to climb all over the place and the first cucumbers are starting to form.


Always lots of fruit. The plums are ripening, and already a batch of plum jam has been made. Yumm.


Lettuce and peas are fighting it out and the runner beans are reaching the top of the trellis and flowering.






Apples abound and the mid season peaches are days away from harvest. My tomatoes are just starting, but I have been harvesting from a friends garden that I water while they are away, so lots of tomatoes.
I am always a little late out of the starting gate here, but I do end up catching up. There are always fruit and herbs on the go that need no help from me, so between the eggs from my borrowed chickens, the fish from the river, and the food coming out of the garden there is almost no need to go shopping, except maybe to buy the odd bottle of wine or beer to wash it all down with.

No comments:

Post a Comment