Monday 9 September 2013

Planting out seedlings

Now that there is a frost threat every few days, it is time to plant out the seedlings I have had on the go for the summer.
There aren't a lot. Two types of perennial Black Eyed Susan, and a really dark red Hollyhock.
The Black Eyed Susans are two that I grew in a garden I left last summer. One has a really big flower, like it is on steroids (could this be Goldsturm?), and the other is alot smaller and more delicate.
Also some Chinese garlic chives. It seems like the chives I transplanted didn't make it through last winter. The seeds must be a few years old, and I was surprised when they germinated so readily.
Here is a pic of the seedlings only a month ago.

 
They were looking a little on the small side then.
But here they are a few days ago, looking much more robust.
 I also took advantage of a sale in our local nursery and bought some Liatrus, Lavender, Sedum and Phlox.
 
 
They have all now found homes in the garden. It meant ripping some of the annuals out, to make room for them. Something I hate doing when they look so nice. However as soon as the threat of frost becomes reality ,they'll be toast anyway. Now the newly planted seedlings have a chance to develop a larger root system while the ground is still warm.
Looking forward to seeing them again next spring.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment