Wednesday 11 September 2013

Tomato Relish

Finally there are enough surplus tomatoes to make a batch of delicious tomato relish. this is a recipe I got from my mother.I have fond memories of eating it with cold roast mutton for lunch.
Also delicious with curries, or on top of cheese and crackers.

 
Recipe
3 lb tomatoes-skin and thickly slice
1 lb onions-slice and add to tomatoes
Sprinkle this mix with salt, cover and leave overnight. ( I sometimes omit the over night bit if I am in a hurry, which is usually)
 
Put tomatoes etc in pan and add
1 lb sugar
white vinegar to barely cover.
Simmer for 1 hr stirring often.
 
Mix 1 1/2 tbsp mustard powder
        1 tbsp curry powder
        2 tbsp flour
        Salt and black pepper to taste-about 1 tbsp pepper, and up to 1 tbsp salt
with a little cold vinegar to make a paste.
 
Stir into pulp and simmer for another 1/2 hr.
Put into sterile preserving jars and seal.

 
I regularly halve the recipe if I only have a few extra tomatoes on hand. I have tried making it after putting the tomatoes though my tomato press. It works, but it is a very smooth relish, and I think I like it better being a bit chunky. Using half the tomatoes chopped and half through the tomato press works pretty well also/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment