Wednesday 25 September 2013

Seedlings

I finally have some seedlings on the way. It is a challenge on these cold damp sunless days. There is no warm spot in the house, but with an electric pad, I have managed to convince the seeds that it is spring, and time to germinate.

 
 
The next trick is to find a place for them to grow in. A place that is warm and sheltered, and makes the most of the light during these grey cloudy days. I have had a greenhouse framed in on the north side of the garage for a few years now. There was never a reason to finish it as I wasn't here during the cooler months.
So I bought some plastic, and staples, and now have, if not exactly a solid structure for the seedlings, at least a somewhat more sheltered area for them to be in. A few strong winds these past weeks have seen me reattaching the odd corner.In a few weeks when I am once again leaving, I'll take off the roof so the rain can keep the plants watered and plant the seedlings in the earth. Hopefully they'll be big enough then that the slugs won't demolish them all.Then on my return in a few months, I may have a head start on the garden.

 
Here they are snug in their new temporary home. I added a few bought large plants to keep them company.

No comments:

Post a Comment