Tuesday 15 October 2013

Lettuce in a row

The first thing I do when I arrive here-often on the way down from the airport when we do that first grocery shop, is to buy a 6 pack of lettuce seedlings. The lettuce is planted into containers, and coddled in a sheltered spot on the deck. I do this because I know that in a few weeks we will be harvesting our first fresh lettuce leaves. It means that for the next 6-8 weeks while we are waiting for the seeds I plant to start producing we have something to harvest in the garden that is convenient, fresh and home grown.
Plus I love the look of the lettuce plants lined up. very decorative-who needs flowers.


I have been munching on these for a few weeks now. When I leave again next week I'll put them in the garden in a shaded spot. They may still be producing when I get back in December, or they may have gone to seed by then. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment