Friday 18 October 2013

Planting out

I am off in a few days, so ready or not the seedlings that I started over the last 6 weeks have to be planted out. My poor babies...Will they survive or will the birds scratch them up and the slugs devour them. Some will survive and some won't. It is always interesting to come back and see how it is.
Some of the seedlings have become quite a good size. Some barely have their true leaves.
I have brocolli, cabbages, pak choi and beets on the go.
Here is a lettuce that is sizing up quite well. I have started batches a week or so apart. If it is cool for the next 2 months, the ones started 6 weeks ago may still be in good shape when I get back here in December. If we have a hot next two months then the ones I started the last week may be the ones ready to eat when we return.

 
The beans that I planted out 2 weeks ago are doing well. The sugar snap and sno peas are just starting to germinate. These ones have grown a few inches. Others are just breaking through the ground.

 
The squash and cucumbers at least seem to be growing fast. Lets hope they out grow the slug damage.

 
The basil and chili peppers are very tiny, and probably won't start to grow much until we have some really warm weather. But they are on a raised bed on the north side of a concrete building, so they may survive.
The tomato plants are a little bigger, but even they look tiny in their wire cages.

 
I planted this clematis years ago. It got lost in a grape vine, and I wasn't aware of it surviving. So I was quite excited to discover these flowers.

Today I walked past the maderin tree in full blossom. The fragrance that wafted over me was just devine. I'm looking forward to the fruit next autumn.
So my wish for the next two months is a nice balance of rain and warm weather. With a little luck I will come back to a garden bursting with veges ready to harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment